Tuesday, June 17, 2008

First Solo Trip

Wow!! On the road with my first solo OTR assignment makes me feel I have made it. Boy, was I wrong. The things that followed were world class jitters generating.
My truck was an International single drive axle gas rig pulling a single axle 35' trailer fitted with a 10' extension making it 45'. I loaded building roof trusses going to Colorado. Loaded, pretipped and ready I rolled out of Boise. The roads were not freeways, so down through Boise city, through downtown Mountain Home and the first hurdle. That was the King Hill weigh station. Red light, the signal to bring in your papers. After confronting the Weighmaster and passing with flying colors, I am off down the road.
After a lunch stop at Bliss, I rolled on without a problem to the next Weigh Station at Cotterel, Idaho. No problems here so on to Utah. The first stop there was the old weigh station at Perry on "fruit row", past Brigham City. Red light again and bring your papers and log book into the station. Here I learned what truck registration was all about. I needed a trip permit, special fuel permit, authority letter and anything else they could or couldn't find in the registration book. After buying the permits (later found out I didn't need a special fuel permit for gas), I headed for Spanish Fork, Utah.
Time to take a break, which should mean get a room for the night because I am driving a day cab truck. Back in those days we were expected to carry a bed role and make out the best we could. A room would come out of your wages, so curl up on the seat (lucky it was a bench).
Next day on to Grand Junction, and my first delivery, which came off without a hitch. After unload and refuel, myself and the truck, I headed East to Evergreen, Colorado. That meant over Loveland Pass, (The long bathroom tunnel was not there) over the Continental Divide, a route I had not been on. The experience was one of many to come, but I made it and delivered on time with no more problems.
So much for trip one as a professional truck driver. I was feeling pretty good about myself. That feeling would be short lived, but sure felt good right now.
That's it for now, more to come later. Truck Safely out There.

No comments: